National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN) is the Italian research agency dedicated to the study of the fundamental constituents of matter and the laws that govern them, under the supervision of the Ministry of Education, Universities and Research. The Laboratori Nazionali del Sud (LNS) are an important research center, well established in the international scientific community. The LNS activities are mainly concerned with the fundamental research in the field of Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Astrophysics and Particle Astrophysics, but also of Applied Research, such as Accelerator Physics, Plasma Physics, Nuclear Physics applied to Medicine, to Biology and Cultural Heritage, radiation monitoring, irradiation of components for aerospace industry.
Key research infrastructure
- Two particle accelerators, a Superconducting Cyclotron and a Tandem: provide ion beams from Hydrogen to Lead with energies up to tens of MeV per nucleon. It is also possible to produce radioactive ion beams applying the in-flight fragmentation method. Nuclear matter properties are studied by using big detector apparata (CHIMERA, MAGNEX, MEDEA) and dedicated apparata that can be installed in one of the available experimental halls. Theoretical Physics studies are also carried out in the same research fields.
- Irradiation hall for proton-therapy (CATANA)
- Laboratory for Cultural Heritage (LANDIS)
- Laboratory for measurements of environment radioactivity
- Other laboratories for interdisciplinary activities (photonics, biology, chemistry
Contact us to see if your research project alligns with our priorities and to know more about secondment possibilites in our organisation at the application stage.